It's been a long strange ride for Marbury over the last couple of years. And yet much like Mike Tyson, who went through a series of bizarre, albeit more outlandish, events, Marbury appears to have reached the point of no return with his face tattoo. I've got nothing against tattoos. However, Marbury's most recent one caused me to look back over the tumultuous events of his last couple of seasons. And to be honest I probably missed a few.
- His launch of the Starbury line of shoes, which are affordable and allowed him to make LeBron James look terrible. Possibly the last positive on this list, depending upon how you feel about Yes Sir!
- The ill-fated Stephon Marbury show that gave us the brilliant Stephen A. Smith parody. "Oh we just do what we do when we can do it."
- The now legendary Yes Sir! YouTube clip.
- His head scratching interview, which is downright surreal given what transpired between Marbury and Isiah Thomas since then and Gilbert Arenas' response:
"Usually I give out awards at the end of the year, but somebody won the 'Best Interview of the Century' award this summer. If you guys haven't seen it, you need to search 'Marbury interview' on YouTube. If you don't think this is the best interview in history, something is mentally wrong with you. It was so good, I watched it 12 times just to make sure that what I was watching was actually real and I wasn't imagining it.
He's like, 'I'm going to average 10 points, 11-12 dimes, four assists' And I'm like, 'What? Last time I checked, dimes and assists were the same thing.' Then he answers his cell phone in the middle of the interview. And at the end he just starts screaming, 'Do it with me now! Do it with me!' I had to rewind it just to make sure it was really Stephon Marbury on there. So, I present Steph with the "Interview of the Century" Hibachi Award!" - Gilbert Arenas
"They can talk about whatever they wanna talk about me, because I got maxed. I’m a max player. Don’t get mad at me, because I’m telling you what’s real. One plus one is two, all day long, and it’s never gonna change. And that’s factorial." - Stephon Marbury
- Marbury got into a heated argument with Isiah Thomas on a plane about a possible benching. Marbury then skipped the game in question, earning a fine in the process. On top of all that allegedly his teammates voted to bench Marbury upon his return.
- Following the aforementioned benching/skipped game incident Marbury threatened the blackmail route.
- LeBron James openly said he could not have a guy like Marbury on his team while Kevin Garnett questioned Marbury's effort after the C's routed the Knicks.