The Celtics held a press conference at 11:45 today with Glen Davis, Shelden Williams and Danny Ainge, clearly to announce the rumored BBD signing and welcome Shelden. Baby signed for 2-years for a total of $6.3 million (as rumored), Williams signed for the one year at $1.3 million (per the Globe, an earlier version of the story apparently incorrectly noted Shelden signed for the $1.9m bi-annual exception). Our own Roy Hobbs points out that, actually the one-year contract for a veteran of Williams' tenure should really be around $850,000. Way to be Globe.
Update -- Official word from the Celtics
The Boston Celtics announced today that the club has re-signed forward Glen Davis to a contract. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"Glen has been a big part of our success for the past two years and we are very excited to have him back," said Danny Ainge, Celtics President of Basketball Operations.
And quotes from the press conference via the Globe
- "I think we're much better," Ainge said. "The Lakers and Cleveland are getting better. And we've improved."
- Davis has experienced an offseason that was sometimes "frustrating," as he awaited offers as a restricted free agent.
- "You have to realize, as much as the NBA is full of entertainment, it's a business," Davis said. "You got to keep that in mind.
- Said Davis: "I'll be ready to go out and play, do whatever it takes."
- "Shelden has proven he can defend and rebound," Ainge said. "Offensively, he hasn't come around as well but it's about getting the opportunity in this league."
- From the Herald: "There was a point in time that I thought I wasn't going to come back," Davis said. "I was telling my girlfriend, ‘Hey, we gotta pack. It's time to go.' There was a point in time then, but it's so funny how things change so quickly. I'm happy to be back here."