Ok..........assuming that we keep the core (big 4 and young talent) of players we have now, I think it is pretty obvious that the Celts are terrible (and I mean awful) at rebounding. See our awful stats here REB RANK. This can't be ignored and even if the Celts had both O'neals healthy and back, I doubt that the rank would be much higher.
So, I am going to retract my previous thoughts (like Ainge believes) of always drafting the talent rather than needs, because not only do the Celts need the rebounding next year, they will also need it for the years after. All our young talent now is in the 1, 2, and 3 positions (exception is Green).
Here is a look at the top rebounders in this draft (10+ rebs a game). Click here. I have abbreviated it below:
- Kenneth Faried (17pts 14.5rebs 2.3blks) - Morehead St.
- Jordan Williams (17pts 12rebs 1.4blks) - Maryland
- Chris Gaston (16pts 11rebs 1.5blks) - Fordham
- Arsalan Kazemi (15pts 11rebs .8blks) - Rice
- Kawhi Leonard (15.5pts 10.6rebs .6blks) - San Diego st
- Trevor Mbakwe (14pts 10.5rebs 1.5blks) - Minnesota
- George Odufuwa (11pts 10.4rebs .6blks) - North Texas
- Rick Jackson (13pts 10.3rebs 2.5blks) - Syracuse
- Nkola Vucevic (17pts 10.3rebs 1.4blks) - USC
- Keith Benson (18pts 10.1rebs 3.6blks) - Oakland
I believe all of these guys have declared for the draft. With that, you have to obviously factor the strength of college and conference into these stats, but some of these numbers are so impressive that it may not matter. One thing that I think is important to note, is the blocks. Blocks, for a big man can show how athletic they REALLY are. Also, their PER rating is a great meter for them as well. Click here for comparison. Faried, Benson, Jackson go 1,2,3 in that ranking.
Hard not to want to try and get a higher pick for Faried. Also might want to take a chance on Jackson, Benson, or Gaston for our 2nd round pick. Jackson isn't even predicted to get drafted, which baffles me (maybe there is something I don't know).
What our you guys thoughts on trading and dealing for Faried? Is it worth it?
BTW - I do have a life, but my wife is gone away on work for a week, which allows me to obsess on these things.
Who would you pick for the 2nd round?
Williams (50 votes)
Gaston (2 votes)
Kazemi (6 votes)
Mbakwe (4 votes)
Jackson (13 votes)
Vucevic (20 votes)
Benson (33 votes)
128 total votes