Greg M. Cooper-US PRESSWIRE - Presswire
In a very fast-paced opening quarter, the Celtics generated a lot of offense in transition, but looked a step slow on defense.
- Nice touch: Paul Pierce stood by Dionte Christmas as he thanked the crowd. Christmas spent a season in Turkey two years ago.
- As expected, Courtney Lee joined the starting lineup with Rajon Rondo, Paul Pierce, Brandon Bass, and Kevin Garnett.
- Chris Wilcox is sitting this one out with the back strain.
- In classic Rondo fashion, he headbutts the ball after Garnett won the tip.
- Lots of running early, both in transition and secondary breaks.
- Courtney Lee's closing speed is really good. Whether he's coming down for a double team or contesting a jump shot, Lee makes up a lot of space very quickly. He's light years faster than Ray Allen.
- First substitution is Darko for KG.
- Green in for Bass. Looks like Doc wants to see Jeff as the "quick 4" playing next to Pierce.
- Scalabrine is really good in the booth. His experience with the Celtics really gives him so good insight with what Doc looks for in a player, especially on defense.
- Rondo canned his first four free throws and a confident three pointer Boom.
- Jeff Green is a deer on the fast break. Gorman and Scal report that he looked great in camp and was the quickest player baseline to baseline in practice.
- Highlight of the quarter: Darko with the offensive rebound lying on the floor, Terry with a missed baseline jumper, and Jeff Green with a putback slam.