The Celtics couldn't buy a bucket for most of the game. Thankfully the Hawks couldn't buy a bucket for the whole game. Ray Allen hit a couple 3's in the 4th quarter (as part of a 36-16 run) that should have put the game out of reach. And by out of reach, I mean just double digits. The Hawks announcers said something to the effect of "for the Hawks to have a chance in this game, they almost need to keep the Celtics from scoring again." ...there was more than 3 minutes left on the clock.
The Celtics were content to let the clock run down in their last few possessions - which I compare to the prevent defense in football (not a great idea). The Hawks cut the lead to 1 on a late 3 pointer by Johnson, but Ray hit a couple of free throws and Teague airballed a 3 pointer (poetic) to ice the game.
- As you might tell, this one was a mudder. Physical, ugly, chippy play.
- That said, calling it a defensive battle would be giving too much credit to the shooters on both sides.
- A win is a win, no matter how ugly.
- Jeff Teague's taunting of Ray Allen seemed to start the offensive run. Not a smart move youngster.
- Rondo still managed 13 assists. Not sure how.
- Celtics shot 39% and the Hawks only managed 38.7% - that was probably the difference right there.