Paul Pierce was feelin' it tonight, but unfortunately, "it" was not feeling Paul. The Captain hit a grand total of 6, of his total 19 shots, while going 1 of 8 from beyond the crayon. A dramatic night, where Paul only managed to hit a few meaningful buckets in the waning minutes of the game, one of which came in overtime.
Rajon Rondo didn't do any better from the field. Playing more aggressive than we're used to, he ended up taking 16 shots. That is what we like to see out of him, but it would be nice if he'd hit, well... more than just 3.
There were a whole bunch of questionable calls, most of them coming in the tail end of this monstrosity of a game. Kevin Garnett and Greg Stiemsma took the brunt of it, both of them fouling out on some of the more questionable calls of the game. Pierce wasn't even allowed to delicately brush some sweat off of Josh Smith's pudgy cheek while driving to the basket. (We wish Josh all the best in his recovery from that hard, hard foul. [/sarcasm])
Speaking of injuries, Brandon Bass will be nursing some soreness for a while, as he went down on a rebound, clutching his knee. He stayed down for a while but stayed in and managed to finish the game. He should be alright to play, as he stated in a post-game interview: "I hyper-extended my knee. But I'm alright. I don't know what I did...I felt like a little kid. I was scared."
Actually, the game went into overtime, where we scored a blistering 4 points. Yes. That's four. No missing numbers there.
So what happened in the end, you ask? An 86 - 88 overtime Celtic WIN, of course.
Psh. How dare you even ask!
Some notables after the break.
- Rajon Rondo *did* en d up with a triple-double. 20 Assists (anyone else not surprised by his assist totals anymore?) combined with 10 rebounds and 10 points.
- KG had two game-highs with 22 points and 12 rebounds.
- Bass wasn't far behind with 21 points and 10 rebounds.
- Good thing we won the rebounding battle: 39-56, with a whopping 15 offensive rebounds, to their 6.
- Mickael Pietrus is back, and it looks like his head is still in the right place: 6 rebounds and 8 points on 3 of 5 shooting.
The Celtics are about the start the tail end of what possibly is the most dreaded stretch of games in years, with a back-to-back-to-back kicking off in Toronto.