Looking forward to seeing JaJuan Johnson play.
The Boston Celtics will be playing basketball on Monday! Well, some of them at least. The Orlando Summer league starts on Monday and runs for a week and then the following Monday the Vegas summer league runs for a week.
This will, of course, be our first chance to look at rookies Jared Sullinger, Fab Melo, and Kris Joseph. It will also be another chance for JaJuan Johnson, E'Twaun Moore, and Sean Williams to show how much they've learned in the past year.
Personally I'm pretty excited about seeing JaJuan Johnson and Jared Sullinger play. They could very well be competing for the backup PF spot behind Bass this year. Also, I'll obviously have my eye on Fab Melo (he should have some fun blocking shots in this league).
“The thing with Fab is that I didn’t realize he had the feet that he has. He has great feet,” Lue said of the young center from Syracuse. “He can show on the pick-and-roll and get back, and I didn’t know he had that (jumper). Kris Joseph said he’s had that, but coach (Jim Boeheim) wouldn’t let him shoot the 15-footer.”
Of Sullinger, Lue said, “It’s just his knowing how to play. He’s a great passer. He’s big enough and physical enough to hold a (center) off, and then he can step out and shoot it.”
Also, remember that summer league is almost always dominated by good guards (because they have the ball in their hands a lot and the bigs don't get a lot of plays called for them). So if I had to guess, I'd say that E'Tuwan Moore is going to have the best week of the bunch.
See the full roster and schedule after the break.
- 7 - Jared Sullinger - F - 6-9 - 260 - Ohio State
- 12 - JaJuan Johnson - F - 6-10 - 221 - Purdue
- 13 - Fab Melo - C - 7-0 - 255 - Syracuse
- 40 - Jonathan Gibson - G - 6-1 - 171 - New Mexico State
- 41 - Jamar Smith - G - 6-3 - 185 - Southern Indiana
- 43 - Kris Joseph - F - 6-7 - 215 - Syracuse
- 50 - Dionte Christmas - G - 6-5 - 205 - Temple (will play in Orlando league only)
- 52 - Stephane Lasme - F - 6-8 - 215 - Massachusetts
- 55 - E'Twaun Moore - G - 6-4 - 191 - Purdue
- 56 - Sean Williams - F - 6-10 - 235 - Boston College
- 63 - Craig Brackins - F - 6-10 - 230 - Iowa State
- Monday July 9 at 1 PM – Boston vs. OKC
- Tuesday July 10 at 5 PM – Brooklyn vs. Boston
- Wednesday July 11 at 11 AM – Indiana vs. Boston
- Thursday July 12 at 11 AM – Detroit vs. Boston
- Friday July 13 at 10 AM – Boston vs. Orlando
- Monday July 16 at 4 PM — Atlanta vs. Boston
- Tuesday July 17 at 10 PM — Chicago vs. Boston
- Thursday July 19 at 7:30 PM — Boston vs. Sacramento
- Saturday July 21 at 10:30 PM — Milwaukee vs. Boston
- Sunday July 22 at 6 PM — Boston vs. LA Clippers
All summer league games will be televised on NBA TV and available to view online.
Who are you most excited about seeing in Summer League?
Sullinger (1126 votes)
Melo (289 votes)
J. Johnson (216 votes)
Moore (56 votes)
K. Joseph (52 votes)
Other (25 votes)
1764 total votes