The Celtics appear to be willing to blow up the team... if their price is met. I think.
Marc Stein has a truckload of rumors in his latest update article, some of which is contradictory and confusing. So instead of quoting the whole thing I'll summarize most of it here and direct you to follow the link for more details.
- Hawks really want to move Josh Smith - don't think they can re-sign him
- There are other suitors but they are hesitant because of his contract expectations
- Celtics want Josh Smith but are also keen on Eric Bledsoe (negotiating leverage maybe?)
- A deal with the Hawks will likely center around Paul Pierce but...
- ...seems unlikely (to Stein) that the Celtics would send out Pierce - especially to Atlanta.
- Seems like the plan is still to try to convince Garnett to waive his no-trade clause to deal with Clippers but...
- ...it doesn't sound like Garnett is interested in doing that at all. Which he told Chris Paul and Chauncy Billups this weekend.
- Now it sounds like the Clippers are hesitant to include both Bledsoe and Jordan in a KG deal. (posturing?)
Phew. Got all that? See how complex these things can be? I'm sure that's just scratching the surface as well.
All of this sounds pretty confusing if you ask me. On the one hand, it sounds like the Celtics management is determined to blow everything up and get back as much as they can for their stars. On the other hand, it sounds like they are reluctant to move their stars and they wouldn't be getting back the value that they want anyway.
Or perhaps it is just that the team is willing to trade anyone if they get the right kind of deal that they are looking for. Which has kind of been what Ainge has said all along. Everyone is available at a price. That price may be lower this year than it has been in the past, but it is still pretty high when you are talking about Pierce and Garnett.
So if I'm guessing, I'd say nothing happens. But that doesn't mean that Ainge and the other GMs won't try between now and the deadline.
Update: I case you missed it last night - Ken Berger had a similar data dump of rumors. A quick summary below.
- Clippers won't just give Bledsoe away. They might be happy keeping him as CP3 insurance.
- KG's adamant statements this week may have given Celtics management pause
- If Celtics are intent on moving either KG or Pierce, they know they'll likely have to move both
- Too early to say where the Celtics talks about Josh Smith are going
- As usual, money will be important - especially as higher luxury taxes kick in this offseason