Media Day kicks off training camp and that is on September 30th. We aren't even over with August yet but several young Celtics players are already in Waltham getting an early start on camp.
Based on various reports, the following players are there now (some of whom were there all summer).
- Avery Bradley - probably a contract year for him
- Jared Sullinger - rehabing after back surgery
- MarShon Brooks - trying to earn himself playing time in a deep rotation of shooting guards
- Kelly Olynyk - rookie looking to build upon Summer League success
- Phil Pressey - rookie that might end up starting if Rondo isn't ready from day one
- Vitor Faverani - rookie Brazilian big man looking to establish himself in the NBA
- Will Blalock - trying to catch on after a recent stint in the D-League
- DeShawn Sims - not sure if he's in town yet, but he was invited to camp
I'm not going to judge players (especially veterans) that have not elected to show up super early. But I have to admire the work ethic of some of these young players are showing. Of course, some of it might have been mandated by the team or at least strongly encouraged. Regardless, the young players - in particular rookies - haven't established workout regimes yet and may not always have easy access to training facilities as nice as the one in Waltham. So this is a great chance for them to develop routines that they carry with them for the rest of their careers. Not to mention getting ready for a critical year for themselves and the franchise.