Past performance is not a good indicator of future success (Kevin Garnett - Kevin Love)

Brace Hemmelgarn-US PRESSWIRE

History teaches us, but it doesn't always repeat itself.

Some of the same people who believe we are "due" to win the Lottery also believe that since we once traded with Minnesota for a star player named Kevin that we are bound to do it again.

We might win the Lottery and we might trade for Kevin Love, but neither one is directly tied to to history.  Even Wyc "Fireworks" Grousbeck has to admit that the Kevin Garnett deal was special.

Wyc Grousbeck says no deal in works until lottery pick is in - Sports - The Boston Globe

"That KG deal might be once in a lifetime, but I think over the next four or five years, we will get back to being contenders, if not three years," Grousbeck said. "I think we can get back there. I think this summer, one way or another, we’ll take positive steps, whether we just draft two players and continue to build, or whether we make a blockbuster deal."

You'll notice in that article that Wyc is still eager to see something good happen this summer.  But he's trying to temper expectations.  Both the fans' and his own perhaps.

Going from (almost) last to Championship wasn't just rare, it was historical.  That kind of thing just doesn't happen very often.

There's a chance that we'll simply add a couple of "nice pieces" and get a little better next season.  If that happens, you can bet the Rondo rumors will hit a new level and we'll be going through exactly what the T-Wolves fans are going through right now.  Trading Rondo might put us back a few years or it might accelerate the process.  It is hard to tell without knowing what we'd get in return and what follow on moves Ainge would make.

Like the butterfly effect indicates, you don't know what series of events could turn into another series of events and so on and so on.  So I'm trying not to get too excited about seeing Kevin Love in a Boston uniform.  I'm trying not to be too hopeful about a 33% chance of getting a top pick (because that means there's a 67% chance we won't win it.

Then again, the Celtics have shown that they are bold enough to take a chance on a big swing trade.  They have carefully accumulated a trove of assets to use.  So history indeed could repeat itself. Stranger things have happened.  All we can really do is sit back and watch the offseason unfold.

Everything kicks off tonight.  Who's ready?

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join CelticsBlog

You must be a member of CelticsBlog to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at CelticsBlog. You should read them.

Join CelticsBlog

You must be a member of CelticsBlog to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at CelticsBlog. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_9347_tracker