This is one of my favorite gimmicks.Â SWAGs stands for Silly, Wild, â€¦umm, Astute Guesses (and yes, Astute is a replacement word).Â For reference, here are my 05 offseason SWAGs and last yearâ€™s preseason SWAGâ€™s.Â Seems my aim is improving since I was a virtual oh-fer in the former and 4 for 5 in the latter.Â Of course, I was a little horoscope-like-vague last time.Â So Iâ€™ll try to be specific today.Â So without further ado, here are my SWAGs for the upcoming season.
1. The Celtics will trade for Kevin Garnett.Â You canâ€™t convince me that this wonâ€™t happen.Â The Wolves will be struggling at the deadline and KG will finally snap.Â He and Mike James will mix like vinegar and baking soda and Ricky (God bless him) will be Ricky (meaning heâ€™s a fantastic player, but not the kind of leader that everyone can rally around).Â The Celtics have the best package to offer and as weâ€™ve discussed, he and Danny can get things done on the down low.
2. Doc Rivers will NOT be fired, â€¦till the offseason.Â Here is my pet theory on Doc (and you can be sure Iâ€™m not basing this onÂ any inside info): Danny knew that ripping the team apart was not going to be a picnic for any coach, and neededÂ a guy that would be a salesman.Â Doc is nothing if not a fantastic salesman; to the media, to the fans, and most of allÂ to a very young and constantly changingÂ team.Â Give him credit for hanging in there when Pierce was borderline mutinous a couple years ago.Â Give him credit for getting the kids some playing time while showcasing guys like Blount for trade purposes.Â Just donâ€™t count on him as the guy to take us to the next level.
3. Gerald Green will win the Slam Dunk Contest.Â Ok, this one isnâ€™t much of a stretch.Â If he enters, heâ€™s the favorite.Â Still, Iâ€™m calling it now.Â Gerald has the talent, creativity, and showmanship to bring some real buzz to this event.
4. Tony Allen will be found innocent, â€¦but still disappoint this year.Â I like Tony, so I hope Iâ€™m wrong.Â Heâ€™s a hard nosed defender and an exciting energy player.Â The reason for my prediction is this: Focus.Â Heâ€™s always had a problem focusing on the court so heâ€™s hit or miss (sometimes in the same game).Â That makes him a fine sub, but not a guy you can depend on.Â If I had to guess, Iâ€™d say heâ€™s the one that gets thrown into a deal to make it work financially, especially if his option isnâ€™t picked up (see Banks, Marcus).
5. The Celtics will not only make the playoffs, but win one series.Â Theyâ€™ll be up and down.Â Theyâ€™ll be fast out of the gate, hit a wall or two, and get back momentum down the stretch.Â KG or no KG, by the end of the year, this team will be the proverbial â€œteam nobody wants to playâ€ going into the postseason.Â Telfair, West, Pierce, Jefferson, and Perkins are the future, and theyâ€™ll prove it in the playoffs.
There they are folks.Â I probably wonâ€™t bat 1.000 but if I miss, I hope it is on #4 and not #5. Feel free to add your own and feel free to tell me how wrong I am going to be.