Baron Davis shocked the Warriors by opting out of his contract on Monday. Imagine their surprise now.
NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein that the guard reached a verbal agreement with the Clippers on Tuesday night and will sign a new multiyear contract with Los Angeles after the leaguewide moratorium on signings and trades is lifted July 9.
Davis was in line to make $17.8 million in the last year of his deal with the Warriors, but after telling the team that he wanted to stay, opted out at the last minute.
Sources told ESPN.com that Davis, 29, will receive a five-year deal worth an estimated $65 million.
Wait, I thought this was going to be a boring offseason. Whahappen?
Of interest to the Celtics:
This scenario is only possible if the Clippers renounce the rights of Corey Maggette and Brand takes a slight pay cut.
Sources say the Clippers are expected to do just that and quickly reach a verbal agreement to bring back Brand.