Here they are. Enjoy, ...I guess.
.@smart_MS3 and Avery Bradley showing off the new @adidasHoops #Celtics uniforms!!!! #adidas pic.twitter.com/rIE25oJxwZ— Emily Austen (@emilyausten_) November 7, 2014
Celtics new sleeved jersey unis via @celtics instagram account. pic.twitter.com/k3DbVDpg5n— Tim MacLean (@MacLeanNBA) November 7, 2014
Yuck. I mean, I'm sure some people out there like the sleeved jersey trend, but I haven't met many. Also, I'm not a fan of the grey, ...or the lettering, ...or the piping down the side that is supposed to honor the parquet but really doesn't resemble it at all. Pretty much a wholesale train wreck if you ask me. But what do I know? I'm sure the nice people at Adidas and the team are much more fashionable than I am.
Still, I have to agree with Eric Freeman of Ball Don't Lie that even if you take away the style issues, this just doesn't seem to speak "Celtics" to me.
The Boston Celtics' new sleeved jerseys are not very attractive (Photos) | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
For whatever aesthetic arguments can be made against these uniforms — like, say, that the green stripes create the illusion of no sleeves with a bizarre continuance of said sleeves — the real problem is that the Celtics are a notable franchise in part because they cherish their heritage like few others. Gray sleeved jerseys featuring random pops of green don't feel very Celtics — it's like if a bored 12-year-old imagined their uniforms for 2032, when half the players in the roster will be extraterrestrials (the current team boasts one, Rajon Rondo).
But protest as we might, the sleeves are here and these are the alternative uniforms they'll be playing in at various times this year. Below are the dates they'll be featured (in honor of historic dates in Celtics history).
Boston Celtics and adidas Unveil Parquet Pride Collection | Boston Celtics
- November 28, 2014 25th Anniversary of Larry Bird scoring his 20,000 point on November 30, 1990 against the Washington Bullets
- December 7, 2014 25th Anniversary of Johnny Most announcing his retirement on December 2, 1990
- January 2, 2015 30th Anniversary of the number "2" retired in honor of Red Auerbach on January 4, 1985
- February 6, 2015 55th Anniversary of Bill Russell pulling down his career best 51 rebounds against the Syracuse Nationals on February 5, 1960 55th Anniversary of Bob Cousy tallying his career best 46 points against the New York Knicks on February 7, 1960
- March 4, 2015 30th Anniversary of Kevin McHale scoring 56 points vs. the Detroit Pistons on March 3, 1985
- April 12, 2015 50th Anniversary of John Havlicek "stole the ball!" vs. the Philadelphia 76ers on April 15, 1965
Kinda feels like they are selling history in a non-historical package.
Hey, speaking of selling out don’t forget to sign up for FanDuel. Here’s the link! (ahh, I love a good self-deprecating irony)