James Young missed several pre-draft workouts and Summer League due to a neck injury stemming from a car accident. Sounds like he also had a concussion that probably led to the Celtics being extra cautious with him in Summer League. He was in Kentucky for a youth camp and spoke to reporters.
On missing the summer league: "It was tough for me, because I had a concussion. I got a chance to meet with some of the guys and stuff like that. Great team, great facility, and the coaching is really great. So I had a chance to just walk around and talk to some of the guys about their past experiences and stuff like that. They're a bunch of great guys."
On whether he's good to go health-wise now: "Yeah, I just got cleared a few days ago, so I'm good now."
Other bullet points:
- Sounds like he hasn't talked to Rajon Rondo yet, but only because they haven't been in Boston at the same time yet.
- Celtics want him to work on his footwork and using his right hand (he's a lefty).
- He needs some coaching on the Celtics history but at least he got "17 championships" and "Larry Bird." That's a start.
- His former teammate Julius Randle now plays for the Lakers.
- Oh yeah, and he cut his hair.
Young has a lot of guys to beat out if he wants to earn playing time this year, but it seems like he can play the 2 and the 3, so at least he's versatile. Should be interesting to watch him in Preseason.