Steve Bulpett provided us with some much needed sobering updates last night. I strongly suggest (nay, I insist) that you click and read the link. For the cliff notes version, I'll summarize below.
- "nothing is really hot with Boston"
- Ainge will try again on Blake Griffin, dangling the Nets pick
- Horford hasn't been discussed in days (Nets pick not on the table)
- Still interested in Kevin Love, but not for the Nets pick (injury concerns)
- No urgency to make a deal.
- Willing to talk about anyone on the roster, but only for real difference maker deals
All of which suits me just fine. It seems to me that Danny is sitting at the poker table with a big stack of chips and a pretty decent hand. He doesn't have to take big risks or bid up too high. He can pick and choose his battles because there's always the summer. But he's always going to come to the table because there's always a chance for a win. (Note: that's not a great analogy, but it is the best I can come up with at the moment.)
In other news, the Celtics are one of several teams that are reportedly calling about Dwight Howard.
The Rockets have talked to several teams about trading Howard for a variety of players, though nothing has been finalized. The Rockets have spoken to Charlotte, Atlanta, Boston and Toronto about trading Howard, sources told ESPN's Marc Stein and Zach Lowe.
Obviously if the Celtics aren't willing to break the bank on Love or Horford, they won't go all-in on Howard.
More updates will be posted as the day progresses. Enjoy.