clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Should Ainge give up the 2017 Nets pick for Jimmy Butler?

New, comments

Make your choice.

NBA: Boston Celtics at Chicago Bulls Dennis Wierzbicki-USA TODAY Sports

Trades are extremely complex scenarios that involve lots of moving parts and require perfect timing. So to reduce them down to one simple question is downright silly.

Of course that’s never stopped me before.

To me, the decision probably boils down to the 2017 Nets pick. If the Celtics are willing to give that piece up, I’m reasonably confident that they could come up with a package that would satisfy the Bulls likely asking price. If not, then they probably don’t come up with a deal that makes sense. I have no sources on this, just speculating based on obsessing over this specific trade possibility for the last 12 months or so.

Don’t just take my word for it. Here’s a Chicago based writer’s quick take.

From the Chicago Tribune

Maybe the Bulls will wait until the NBA draft June 22 to execute a seismic deal for Butler when teams know the exact draft order. Or maybe the Bulls can take advantage of the Cavs' sudden vulnerability in the East to convince the Celtics now is the time to strike.

Reports indicate the Celtics won't trade the rights to the Nets' 2017 pick, likely to be a high one, but perhaps that thinking will change in the coming days. Deadlines tend to alter philosophy and spur action. Teams in the East sense weakness in the Cavs, who clung to a 2 1/2-game lead over the Celtics in the East heading into Wednesday's games and face the next six weeks without injured forward Kevin Love.

So are the Celtics eager enough to roll the dice on a potentially weakened Cavs that they would be willing to give up the 2017 Nets pick? Or will Danny Ainge draw a line in the sand and refuse to give up that pick (at least until they find out where that pick lands in the lottery)? What would you do?

https://www.facebook.com/celticsblog/videos/10154048518276898/